Today (March 22, 2011), I picked up my copy of DDFF 012 at GameStop. Immediately, I wanted to play as one of my favorite FF characters, Laguna. I went against one of the most annoying villains of the franchise, Kefka.
The Social Media class (#J4801) at the University of Memphis along with the hyperlocal reporting team MicroMemphis went on a field trip to the Cooper-Young community on St. Patty’s Day (March 17, 2011) to live tweet around the area as folks are celebrating this holiday. This was a new experience for me since before today; I have never been to the Cooper-Young District. I have lived in Memphis for many years and have never once set foot on Cooper-Young until this morning. Including in this post is a slideshow of pictures I took during today’s scavenger hunt. I am not “lucky” enough to have a smartphone but I do have an excellent camera.
While technologically limited, I was teamed up with Nielsen and Louis for this assignment. Nielsen did some reporting and Louis (@Lou4President) did the tweeting by using his iPhone. I (@chrisfreitas23) took some additional photos and have actually contributed a few tweets for this excursion. Here are just some of the things we were able to dig up from the St. Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt at Cooper-Young. These findings are taken from the tweets for the assignment.
1. Louis, myself, and Nielsen at Celtic Crossing.
2. Green beer can be found here at Celtic Crossing. http://yfrog.com/gyl0pnj
3. These olive green pieces of art can be seen up and down Young and Cooper Ave. http://yfrog.com/h2pnhndj
4. Adam Griffin likes Cooper-Young because of Celtic Crossing & sassy bartenders. http://t.co/zr74Ii1
5. The bartender, Phillip, mentioned that Young Ave. Deli used to be a grocery store. He also said that Cooper-Young has more than 30,000 people that attend its annual Block Party. http://yfrog.com/h7xteimj
6. Virginia Murphy, business owner says that the muscles & IMP beer are her favorite food and drink at Tsunami. she loves the place, people, and staff. http://t.co/XgaJofO
8. Katy of Cafe Ole says she prefers Facebook over twitter because she doesn’t want some random guy stalking her.
9. As a sign of public art, Nate Dogg the Leprechaun was with his pals Jody & Mike at Young Ave Deli. http://t.co/RBhCmiS
11. A Cooper-Young resident at Young Ave. Deli said an interesting fact about the area was a railroad track has ran through it.
The new blog website is located at https://chrisfreitas.wordpress.com. It is still called “The Yellow Badge of Cowardice” and all my personal rants on games, shortwave radio, broadcasting, movies, etc. will still be on here.
Earlier today, I went to GameStop (located near Park Ave. & Mt. Moriah in Memphis) to place my reserve on Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition. While I was there, the store cashier told me of an opportunity to get hands-on experience with the Nintendo 3DS a week early. On March 20th, some GameStop locations, including the store in the Park Cosmorama, will allow people to test out the 3DS before it launches on March 27th. A Nintendo representative will be there to allow anyone get the chance to try out the new handheld. However, the catch is you must be a PowerUp Rewards member to take part in this event. If you feel that you must try it out before making a purchase decision and are not a PowerUp Rewards member, then you can place $15 for membership (there are also other perks to being a member so ask the store cashier for details).
Also, I got to hear some more interesting news from the store manager. Since they are anticipating a lot of preorders (which they have many so far), the GameStop location on Park Ave. may have a midnight release on March 27th for the 3DS. While it is not officially confirmed by the manager, it is worth noting…especially for those gamers living here in Memphis. The closest midnight release at any GameStop is in Jackson, TN. Four GameStop locations in Memphis are having 9 A.M. releases, which the store on Park Ave. is included. For folks in Memphis interested in getting a 3DS at midnight on launch day, I will update you on my 3DS Beat blog sometime next week if this midnight release is confirmed. You can also check GameStop’s website for updates and to find a location in your area.